Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, January 13, 2012

Beautiful World Gets Political

Okay--anyone who knows me at all understands that I don't discuss politics. I don't debate, I don't ever tell who I will vote/have voted for, and I never talk about the issues or my opinions. There is a reason for this: It's none of your business.

However, today I have something to say.

First--the disclaimer: Nothing said here indicates endorsement of, or agreement with, any known political candidate including the current U.S. President.

I want to talk about flip-flopping.

I believe in it.

I don't like voting for people who have never changed their minds. I've not lived as long as most of the candidates, but I know I've changed my mind about major issues. My reasons for changing my mind had to do with personal experience, education, or just plain logic. Because I'm a skeptic, I'm guessing political candidates change their minds because they believe it will procure more votes, but I'm also an optimist, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt at least 10% of the time and assume some of them changed because of a shift in personal beliefs.

So I suppose what I'm saying is this: I don't trust politicians who have never flip-flopped on the issues. If they don't ever change their minds about anything, they aren't listening to the changing needs of the public they represent, they don't notice the diversity in our world, and they're unlikely to choose what constitutes the most good for the majority of people and will instead remain mulishly convinced that the beliefs they formed decades ago continue to be applicable in any situation.

Therefore, when I go to the polls in November, I will certainly vote for a candidate who flip-flops on the issues. It's a good thing I'll have a large number of people to choose from.

I must also point out that flip-flops are my footwear of choice at least four months out of the year.

The End.

7 comments:

  1. I _so_ agree with this. Of course, I don't consider a candidate more credible with each new flip-flop, and I am more skeptical of actual flip-floppers who seem to go back and forth depending on their audience than those who just shifted in their views from one position to another. But those who demonstrate ability to prioritize and compromise to get things done or to change their position given increased experience and understanding actually impress me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always felt this way, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OM, Th., and Trev: Glad to know I'm in good company. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least you make me laugh, too. And out loud. In a motel lobby at 6:45 in the morning while all the other people in my room sleep! Yet another reason I will always love you! And guess what--I'm wearing flip-flops (cause I can in CA in Feb!)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boo--I hope you had an amazing time on the cruise. And yes, I'm wishing I could have been there instead of enjoying my trips to the emergency room.

    ReplyDelete