Add to Technorati Favorites

Saturday, December 31, 2011

It's Just Another New Year's Eve

I'm not sorry to say goodbye to 2011. And I don't really care if that labels me as having a bad attitude. It's been a very difficult year physically, mentally, financially, and emotionally. I'm a bit offended at my body. Being injured to the point of needed surgery in the same year as deciding it no longer needs an appendix seems excessive. And when my body isn't functioning normally, everything else seems to go a little crazy.

So I'm looking forward to 2012. I intend to celebrate the heck out of this day as I usher in the new year and hasten the old one away. I started by going to the gym, riding the bike for 30 minutes, then walking in the "Lazy River" for another 20 minutes. When I came home, I put a batch of bread into my bread maker. I don't really care if that seems celebratory to anyone except me, and I don't really eat a lot of bread...well...I don't really eat a lot of anything, really...but still, I love the smell of it baking and that smell can make a whole lot of stress disappear.

I folded all the laundry and vacuumed my house from top to bottom (hearing in the back of my head my elder sister's nurse-voice as it reminded me I'm only four weeks post-op, and two weeks off crutches, and I need to take it easy still--I told the voice to shut up), swept the kitchen and cleaned my bathroom.

I followed this up with playing turns in my 32 games of Scrabble. I'm uncertain how I came to be playing that many games, but they were there waiting for me so I took my turns. Then I looked in on Kingdom of Loathing. I'm a lamentable player at best, but I love the game's sense of humor and occasionally I play a trick on my KOL friend, Morcai. I thought about doing that today, but I don't remember how, and I currently lack his cleverness when it comes to follow-up, but someday...he should watch his back...

It's horribly ugly outside. The wind continues to blow from all directions and tiny blizzards pop in occasionally to remind us it can always be worse. When I went to the gym this morning, the sun was shining. Not anymore. One could not ask for a more gloomy, stormy day. I've been drowning out the wind by practicing Prokofiev's Toccata in D Minor. Darrin is home now, though, and he is not a fan of the Toccata.

I believe I will call one of the friends who asked us to celebrate with them tonight and ask what we can bring--and tonight I will actually go. I'm not excited about this, but Darrin is and part of my celebration is that we'll do something Darrin wants to do.

For now, I believe I'll get back to playing on Facebook for a minute, and then I'm going to read something while my bread bakes, and my only resolution for 2012 is that this is going to be a better year than 2011. And it's going to be. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment