Add to Technorati Favorites

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Just for my Fellow Chocolate Fanatic



This is for you, Ambrosia. And if you're wondering why she gets a special post, it's because she unabashedly proclaims her devotion to chocolate, even going far enough to admit that she'd like to live on vitamin supplements and chocolate cake (something I've done for a day or two--until the cake was gone). Also she found a yummy link and publicized it, which makes me very happy.

Now, you've tasted my desserts before, so you know that when it comes to chocolate, I'm very serious. And I promise this is worth making. I wanted to take pictures and post them, but each time I make this, it gets eaten before I can. So you'll have to use your imagination. I might make it Sunday. If I do, I'll be sure to post a picture. But if you decide to be adventurous and try this, you must tell me what you think. I think it's mmmmmmmmmmmm.............

Raspberry Almond Truffle Cake

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray bottom of 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray. Combine:
1 chocolate fudge cake mix
1 1/3 C. water
1/2 C. vegetable oil
3 eggs
Beat with electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, then for 2 minutes on medium speed. Pour into pan and bake about 30 minutes or until cake tests done with toothpick. Cool completely.

Ganache: In a large microwavable bowl, combine 16 oz. semisweet chocolate chips (we prefer Guittard or Ghirardelli double chocolate), 1 1/3 C. heavy whipping cream, and 1/4 C. butter (not margarine). Microwave on high for one minute. Stir. Continue to microwave in 20 second intervals until mixture is smooth (do not overcook). Stir in 2 tsp. almond extract, and 2 tsp. vanilla. Note: this process can also be done by heating butter and cream to boiling and pouring over chocolate and stirring until smooth. Add flavorings last.

Line bottom of springform pan with parchment paper circle. Cut cake into 1-inch cubes. Place half of the cubes in mixing bowl and beat until crumbly. Add remaining cake and 1 3/4 C. ganache (reserve remaining). Beat until well combined (mixture will be thick). Gently fold in 2 C. fresh raspberries. Pour mixture into prepared pan, smooth top of cake. Cover with plastic wrap and chill until firm enough to unmold (this can be done in the freezer and takes 30-45 minutes).

Loosen cake from pan by running a hot knife between the side of pan and cake. Turn onto serving plate, and cover with remaining ganache. Garnish with more raspberries, slivered almonds, and whipped cream.

There it is, Ambrosia--my chocolate present to you. Let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. Now that's just cruel. And here I was, doing so well to ignore this recipe for something that sounded absolutely divine.

    Pictures!

    Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoorah! That's even better than a pony. You are really wonderful, you know. I'll be making this within the week.

    ReplyDelete