Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, December 14, 2007

Christmas Vacation

In less than one week I will be far away from the snow. No white Christmas for me this year.

I let some of the people with whom I have music contracts know I'd be gone for a couple of weeks over the Christmas/New Year's break, and suddenly they believe I must rehearse with them all day today and Monday to make up for the four days I would normally have rehearsed. There was even a suggestion of rehearsals Saturday and Sunday, which I nixed. Seriously--they can rehearse without me, and I'll be back in January. We already performed our pre-holiday stuff, I don't understand why this is a big deal. People get very stressed at Christmas time.

In five days I will be trapped on a plane with 39 people who belong to me in some way (parents, grandparents, siblings, nieces, nephews, children, in-laws, spouse...). I'm thinking of pretending to be one of the other passengers, ignoring the mayhem my family will cause, and trying to sleep on my very long flight. Or maybe I'll start a game of hide-and-seek with the nieces and nephews, or a six-hour caroling marathon (the non-Christian passengers will love that), or we can play Upset the Fruit Basket (with seat belts, of course--safety first).

I asked my four-year-old nephew yesterday if he was coming with me on the airplane. He said yes. Then we had this conversation:

me: You know, that's a pretty long time we'll be on the airplane.
him: Yup.
me: What happens if we have to use the bathroom.
him: I don't know. Do you know?
me: Nope.
him: I guess they'll just have to stop and let us pee outside.
me: Good idea.

Flying over an ocean obviously means nothing to a four-year-old.

5 comments:

  1. In five days I will be trapped on a plane with 39 people who belong to me in some way

    I'm envisioning a scene like on "A Very Brady Sequel" where, on the plane to Hawaii, they all stood up and started singing - until the flight attendant told them to shut up and return to their seats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abelard--I'm afraid the Brady Bunch has nothing on my family. The flight attendants will be very happy to see us disembark.

    David--Yup. What better place for a family reunion? :)

    Ambrosia--Thanks, you know I will. It's what I do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your nephew is very funny. I'd pay money to see his face when he sees those tiny cubicle toilets on the plane.

    I think you should start an in-flight contest to see who can Moo the best. You could then have animal noise competitions to see who is most convincing.

    ReplyDelete