Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, September 26, 2008

Time to get up

My children believe that one must set the morning alarm three hours prior to actual wake-up time, then snooze for the next three hours. I'm already battling a snoring husband at 120 decibels, so to have two alarms blaring music at five minute intervals from 3:30 a.m. until 6:00 a.m. is making me a bit testy. I insisted Tabitha and Adam change their alarms times to closer to 5: 00 a.m., hoping for another 90 minutes of sporadic sleep between Darrin-snores. They sort of complied. 

Today, however, Adam's alarm began to sing pop music at 4:15 a.m. And I lost patience.

Me (turning on the light and standing in Adam's room): It's time to get up.
Adam: Huh?
Me: Your alarm is going off. It's time to get up.
Adam: Oh. Okay, I'll turn it off. 
Me: That's fine. Then get in the shower. 
Adam: I don't need to get up yet.
Me: Yes. You do.
Adam: No, I don't. I have plenty of time to sleep. I don't have to leave until 6:20. 
Me: New rule, Adam. If your alarm wakes me up, I wake you up. That's the way it works.
Adam: My alarm didn't wake you up.
Me: Yes, it did.
Adam: No. I turned it down so it wouldn't.
Me: It still woke me.
Adam: Something else woke you.
Me: It doesn't matter to me if you believe me or not. If your alarm goes off, and I hear it, I'm coming to your room to be obnoxious until you get up.
Adam: Mom! I want to go back to sleep.
Me: Yeah. That's a little miserable isn't it?
Adam: Fine! I get it!
Me: Good. Now get up.
Adam: Ahhhhh!!!

Tabitha's alarm began to sing at that moment. I walked to her room.
Tabitha: I heard. No snoozing.
Me: Nope.
Tabitha: Got it.
Me: Have a good morning.

I am not a nice mom when I don't get enough sleep. I'm hoping that has been made clear to my dear children. Perhaps next week we'll get to sleep in until 5:15 a.m. One can always hope...

4 comments:

  1. seems to me things were expertly handled...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!

    Now how do I get myself to stop hitting the snooze...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha. Nice. I can't believe they'd rather have the alarm go off at 3:30 and hit snooze for hours instead of just getting up at 6:00.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! Nicely done. I think that's a good rule for this situation: "If your alarm wakes me up, I wake you up."

    ReplyDelete