Add to Technorati Favorites

Sunday, October 24, 2010

About Movies

Okay-- I understand all the reasons why people love the movie, Inception. And I didn't dislike it. But I also didn't walk out of the theater with my mind blown. Nor do I wish to see it repeatedly. Once was plenty. 

Now, please remember I'm not mocking anyone who adores the movie and wishes to see it a thousand times. That's your prerogative. Given that, please don't press me for all the reasons I'm not in love with it because I think it's lovely that you find the movie fascinating, and anything I might say that isn't devout praise will be construed as criticism--not my intent. 

It's important to note that when I go to movies I'm never drawn into them. I'm very aware there is a screen and I'm often distracted when the actor's name keeps insinuating itself on my brain each time the character name is spoken instead. I'm sincerely impressed with a fine acting job--but always completely aware that it is acting. This does not decrease my enjoyment in any way, it simply means that my experience is different from yours, and therefore I will not react as you do.

Also, I hated Dead Poet's Society. I know, that has nothing to do with this discussion, but as long as I'm talking about movies, I just thought I'd mention it.

Oh, one more thing: If you drag me to Inception a second time, and I've been working from 5:30 a.m. - 1:00 a.m. for the past five days, please do not act amazed if I sleep through much of the movie. It's dark and I'm sleepy and I've seen it all before. 

The end.

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the movie, but it didn't blow my mind. So I'm with you on that, though I may have enjoyed it more. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found myself being annoyed by the movie. It was almost like the plot was bullying my brain. It was SO annoying. I got to the point where things got so convoluded that I was like, "I don't freaking care... get to the end. Stop purposely messing with my mind"

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. O.M.: I enjoyed it, as well--the first time. The second time was fine, but I was incredibly tired. I just like to draw my own conclusions about movies. Having someone else tell me what I'll think of it rubs me the wrong way--and almost guarantees I'll be grouchy about seeing it.

    Lucky: I definitely don't think the movie was for everyone.

    I've not seen you here before. I really appreciate your comment and am glad you stopped by. :-)

    ReplyDelete