Add to Technorati Favorites

Monday, November 17, 2008

Today I am ranting

I woke up aggravated this morning...and tearful, which only makes everything more aggravating.

I went to dinner with an old friend last week. We talked--well, she talked. Finally, she asked me to tell her about my current life. I told her about the normal stuff...work, performances, kids...then she asked about my frequent trips to Utah that Darrin had mentioned to her. So I though about making something up, because sometimes I do see clients, or attend workshops, or perform, or teach. But then I decided to just tell the truth. So I did. I told her I was seeing a therapist because I was raped when I was eleven by a cousin who lived with us at the time. She asked a couple of questions which revealed that my parents weren't told until three years ago, and that things were going fairly well. Then suddenly, the dinner was over. She paid for her meal, got up and said good-bye.

I know it's shocking and upsetting to learn things like this. I understand it's not "nice" dinner conversation. But this is something that affects me every day of my life. I would like it to be otherwise. It's not. I don't know if it ever will be. I don't talk about it constantly. Ask Ambrosia--I stay with her when I'm in Utah. Rape of Samantha is not a popular topic in my repertoire of conversation. However, it's important to me to let people know, at least, people who are close to me--those who consider themselves my friends. 

A friend asked me this weekend why it matters. Why do I have to tell people. I could have had a lovely dinner with an old friend, gotten a hug good-bye, and she would have left feeling that our time together was something to treasure. Instead, she left feeling uncomfortable and distanced from me. I told him it matters. That's all. I let clients leave me feeling warm and fuzzy. I don't allow students to feel discomfort about me.  But if you love or care about me, this will matter to you, as well. In the past eight months flashbacks have been triggered by a multitude of random things. My life has become structured around avoiding the things that might bring a flashback, and only going into those situations when I have to (like seeing the doctor or dentist). And it sucks. 

Someone I love to spend time with invited me to go to a concert with him recently. I declined. Because the noise, and the crowds, and the fact that I would be attending right after a therapy session pretty much guaranteed that I would have a fairly intense flashback and all the lovely accompanying after-effects. And the truth is--I love spending time with him--I love him! And I hate the fact that my stupid past reaches out and bites me in the rear a million years later.

Why do I have to tell people? Because it still hurts! Because it's never going away! Because if you love me, you'll care about this, you won't worry that it's uncomfortable or shocking. You might even let me know that you don't think I'm a freak because I can't do something as normal as going to a concert with a friend. You might tell me I'm okay and we're still friends even if I've experienced treatment most people don't think about. And then, probably, I won't talk about it much anymore, because you'll understand why I take the stairs instead of the elevator, why the texture of meat in my mouth sometimes makes me nauseated, why I avoid some movies, why I'm afraid to go some places alone, why I just feel sad every once in awhile, why I get stressed when people approach me from behind or touch me when I'm not expecting it. 

But it might be too much to ask. I've always thought it was, but some people told me it wasn't--and I believed them. 

I'm a pretty nice person, actually. And sometimes it just feels like this STUFF is undeserved and too big for me to deal with. 

Okay. Finished complaining. Time to go run.

4 comments:

  1. You tell because it helps you to have people know, to understand, to love you all the same despite the horrible thing you went through. You want to trust your friends with this information, to feel validated with your friends even with this difficult experience coming to light.

    We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this is different, but my husband and I make room for each others' neuroses and that of our other friends. I don't think it's that big of a deal to go out of my way not to hug a friend who is uncomfortable with it, for example. Sometimes I don't know how else to tell them I love them and I feel a little awkward, but usually not for long. It can be hard sometimes at first (especially if I don't remember all of the things I need to be considerate about/because of), but it's certainly worth it, if it makes my friends more comfortable around me.

    One of my friends and I were talking about this the other day. The fact that people can't talk about unpleasant things around their good friends sometimes. We both think it's a shame that there seem to be lots of good friends with whom we can't share some bad things because it's imposing too much, but simultaneously, we need friends to share those things with. I like the idea of bearing each others burdens, to a degree. I don't spend a lot of time with friends who always want and need help and are draining, but friends don't feel burdensome when they are doing all that they can for themselves and then need someone to care and listen about it. I'm not explaining myself well, but I think you're wonderful, Sam, and I think it's worthwhile to have friends who know about the things that are a huge part of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But if you love or care about me, this will matter to you, as well.

    I couldn't agree more. Like JB said, there are different kinds of friends. Some are the kind where you just say hi and exchange triviliaties and feel good that you have someone to make light chitchat with. And then there are the kind where you really know each other. And that means you know the unhappy, hurting parts, as well as the fun, cheerful parts.

    And I can certainly attest that you are not one to dwell on your struggles.

    I'm sorry that your friend reacted poorly when you trusted her when such personal, hard-to-share information. [hugs]

    ReplyDelete