Add to Technorati Favorites

Monday, December 20, 2010

It's Genetic

If you spend enough time with me it will soon become clear that I have a mental deficiency: I cannot differentiate between snowmen and penguins. This only applies to the cutesie ones like those found on Christmas wrap, mugs, and baby sweaters. I'm not sure when the problem began, but I believe it started when I discovered I had a favorite hot chocolate mug emblazoned with a penguin...I think. My children insist it's the penguin mug, but in my head it is immutably a snowman. When I see the mug I see a penguin. When I use it, it's a penguin. When I ask for it--it's a snowman.

This happens repeatedly and interchangeably with other snowman/penguin items. My friends and family ridicule me for it. My dad smirks and says, "Mensan, eh?" Adam suggests flash card practice. DJ rolls his eyes. Darrin hides my mug...

I do know the difference. I just can't always make the correct word match the character. I think.

Yesterday Tabitha was helping me wrap presents. We had Santa wrap, poinsettia wrap, and snowman wrap (or possibly penguin wrap--I can't remember). Tabitha finished one gift, then asked me to pass her the penguin paper (or snowman paper--regardless, it was not the character residing on the gift wrap). I handed her the roll. As she took it she began to giggle, said, "Oh, I meant snowman paper," then, "MOM! It's your fault! I'm going to spend the rest of my life confused about penguins and snowmen."

I sighed and said, "It's really very easy to tell the difference, Tabitha. Penguins can't fly."

She looked at me in silence for a moment, then replied, "No wonder you're hopeless."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment