Add to Technorati Favorites

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Rant

George Takei posted this on Facebook tonight:
"The only thing that could make the Oscars gayer, Seth, is if I hosted them."

And of course, all the George fans had to comment and get excited and I even liked one of the comments. So why am I ranting?

Because of this comment:
"I.m. Ulysses George, you might be gay, but you're not 'that' gay. It's weird, I know, but there are those who are consumed by their homosexuality and those who just accept it as part of who they are. While I'm as morally opposed to homosexuality as I am any other sin, I really believe that as an actor, or a person, you cannot market yourself as 'the gay actor' anymore than you can market yourself as 'the gay administrator' or even as 'the japansese actor' or the 'japanese accountant.' Be good at what you do, FIRST, and gay people and straight people won't care what you do in your private life or what yoru ancestry is. That's why, to me, you're not 'gay George Takei' or "Japanese George Takei', you're George Takei, Mr. Sulu, and all the other roles you've done. That's what matters. AS for the Acadamy Awards, a bunch of self-congratulatory, have drunk millionaire congratutlating other half-drunk millionaires. Who really cares? I have my Star Trek TOS, a tv and dvd...much better entertainment! Cheers!"

I honestly don't understand why anyone has to insert their beliefs into every comment. And why would anyone ever take it upon himself to lecture George Takei about geing good at anything? Does this commentor really believe George cares about his opinion?

Also, homosexuality is not a sin. Period. It is a sexual orientation.

Actually, there is nothing at all redeeming about this person's comment, it's just crap. I think the thing that made me upset is that another person LIKED it. It's one thing to be a bigot and just plain boorish, but now there are TWO of them.

I want to say so much more about the irredeemable nature of this stupid comment, but then I would be spending time on that instead of the really important things I have to do...like staring at the wall...or blinking...or thinking about my elbows...

Okay, I know this is not the first, nor will it be the last time someone stupid says something that lives up to their IQ, but I'm hoping with all my heart that I encounter it less often. Probably if I stop reading Facebook comments made by complete strangers, it will.

But if  you are someone I know who finds nothing offensive in the above comment, please don't tell me. I don't want to know. And if you agree with it, I REALLY don't want to know. So if we happen to be conversing, try to avoid inserting phrases such as, "consumed by...homosexuality," or "morally opposed to homosexuality as...any other sin," or "you're not...gay," or "straight people won't care what you do in your private life." Just don't say things like that. Use a bit of common sense and courtesy. Pretend I never refer to your heterosexuality or my judgement of that, okay?

And now I will go scream a tiny bit.

2 comments:

  1. I was going to comment but you just banned all the things I was going to say in my comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mr. Fob.,

    Please don't say things that make me want to keep quietly screaming.

    Love,
    Sam

    ReplyDelete