Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, January 11, 2008

Going to the dentist sucks!

Dear Mr. Nice Dentist:

I really don't care how beautifully matched my new tooth is--never hand me a mirror when I'm sitting in your chair! And I just have to say, if you're flossing my tooth and it feels like you're pulling my head off, I get a little alarmed.



Dear Ms. Nice Dental Hygienist:

That thing in the back of my throat--it's called a tonsil. And yes, it hurts like a mother bear when you suction directly on it. Don't do it again! please.

p.s. Thanks for telling me I smell good.

Dear Nice Dentist Office People:

No, I am not having a seizure. I shake like this when I have flashbacks. It stops after awhile. Considering the things that happened inside my mouth a long time ago, I think it's completely understandable that flashbacks might be triggered by someone touching me there, especially if the touching is rough or painful. No, you don't need to call an ambulance.

p.s. Thanks for saying my tooth looks great. Thanks more for telling me I look great.

Dear Everyone Reading This Right Now:

I think it's okay if I cry on the way home from the dentist's office. The feelings are A LOT overwhelming and there really seems to be no other option. And if I'm still crying when I get home, I think that's okay, too.

Sincerely,

Samantha

5 comments:

  1. Thank you. I needed to hear that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So that's why you hate the dentist. You're really good at doing things you have to do, even when they terrify you. I really admire that. And I'm impressed you didn't scream and cry the whole time you were in the chair! Just the drive home? That's more than reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Better to cry than to wrestle sharp instruments from the dentist's hands and use them to stab said dentist in the thigh....

    Ugh. I hate going to the dentist. And my reasons are pretty lame--I just don't like people touching my teeth with sharp instruments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, JB. Sometimes I feel more than a little inadequate. It's nice to hear others don't view me that way.

    Julie--did you do that? Not that I want maimed dentists running around, but I think that would be one amazing story...and I blame no one for fear in the dentist's chair, whatever the reason.

    ReplyDelete