Add to Technorati Favorites

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Life is just a bowl of cherries

I have low blood sugar.
I have an eating disorder.
I am a runner.

These three things don't work well as an equation. Occasionally I have problems. Yesterday was a good example.

I don't eat before I run because it sort of makes me feel ill...okay...I don't eat before I run because I don't want to. There. I'm being honest.

I made it into my fourth mile before my blood sugar dropped. I don't know how others with this condition feel when that happens. I usually feel light-headed and extremely nauseated. It's not unusual for me to have some disorientation, as well. I can't stop running immediately when this happens or I end up fainting. I walked another mile or so, gradually slowing down, then I showered and tried to eat. My stomach said "NO" most emphatically.

I cleaned my house and visited a friend. I went to the grocery store. At this point it was around 2:00. I got home an hour later and finally felt that I could eat without losing it. I grabbed some peanuts and my daughter poured me some orange juice just as my first piano student arrived--I had forgotten about them (did I mention that I become somewhat disoriented?).

I taught piano lessons for a couple of hours. Adam told me he'd make dinner, so I let him. I sat down with my peanuts and orange juice and did an hour of editing. I ate some of the dinner Adam made for me and started to feel a little better around 9:30 p.m.

If you chatted with me yesterday, I offer my apologies. Not only do I feel miserable physically when this happens, but it messes with my emotions, as well. I can't always understand the motives behind the words and often I feel frustrated and attacked. I appreciate those who said hello. I hope you understand that I was not myself.

Today is much better.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds scary. I'm glad you made it home okay and didn't pass out.

    ReplyDelete